The auxiliary steam yacht MOLLY was built in 1897 by Camper & Nicholsons, as a gentleman's yacht. She was sailed in the Solent area and also followed the J-class yacht regattas to other ports. Her hull is constructed of pitch pine on oak with teak topsides on oak. Her boiler and engine room occupied most of the midships area.
She was requisitioned by the Admiralty in 1914 and renamed UNDINE. She was used for harbour-guard duties, patrols and general ‘maid of all work’ inshore duties in the Solent. She continued as a coal-fired steamer with limited endurance, as she could not travel far from base.
After the war, she returned to use as a yacht (still named UNDINE) until being requisitioned again in the Second World War, when she was renamed WATERMAIDEN. In 1945, she returned to her owner, her wheelhouse was enlarged, and she reverted to the name UNDINE; in 1947, she was re-engined with an Atlantic diesel.
In 1979 she became UNDINE OF SOLENT, a name she retained until 1990, when her accommodation was restored by Tough's and she again became UNDINE. She retains the characteristics of a classic Victorian auxiliary yacht.
Where is she now?
UNDINE is operated as a private motor yacht located at Burnham-on-Crouch